The Book Club of California is a non-profit, membership-based organization founded in 1912. The Club supports book making, fine printing, design, typography, illustration, literature, and scholarship through a dynamic series of publications, public programs, and exhibitions related to the history and literature of California and the West.
Becoming a member of the Book Club of California is easy. Just click on the membership level you are interested in below. Soon you will receive a welcome packet from us and your name will appear on our New Members list in the next Quarterly News-Letter (“QN-L”). Please note that annual renewals are due by January 1 of every year.
- A dynamic year-round series of lectures, exhibitions, and workshops
- Club hospitality in downtown San Francisco during our Monday night gatherings from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Access to the Albert Sperisen Library—our remarkable collection of books, bibliographies, and ephemera
- A subscription to our Quarterly News-Letter, a letterpress-printed collection of book-related articles and reviews
- A complimentary copy of the Book Club of California’s award-winning Annual Keepsake
- The opportunity to pre-order all forthcoming Book Club of California publications at a 10% discount
- Access to the Bookshop, offering Book Club of California publications in print
- A 15 % discount on Book Club room rentals for private events (based on availability)
- Printed ephemera: invitations, book prospectuses, exhibition checklists, memorial keepsakes, and more
“Gold Standard” Standing Order Membership
Many Book Club of California members enjoy taking part in the Standing Order program. Standing Order members agree to purchase each Club book upon publication, and receive a 15% discount on all Club publications. Your support of our publications program is vital to its success. To become a Standing Order member, look for the pop-up box after choosing a membership level below.
INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP, $95
STUDENT MEMBERSHIP, $25
Student and apprentice levels do not receive the Annual Keepsake.
Supporting Members play a crucial role in the ongoing success and vitality of the Book Club’s mission, and help make possible our public lectures, exhibitions, and world-renowned publications. If you appreciate these programs and activities and want to help ensure our ability to offer them to a wider public, please consider a Supporting Level Membership.
SUSTAINING MEMBERSHIP, $150
PATRON MEMBERSHIP, $250
SPONSOR MEMBERSHIP, $500
BENEFACTOR MEMBERSHIP, $1000
Questions? Call (415) 781-7532
For your tax records:
Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law. The BCC Federal Tax ID is 46-2954746. In accordance with the Internal Revenue Code, the tax-deductible portion of annual membership dues is $36 for Standard, $91 for Sustaining, $191 for Patron, $441 for Sponsor, and $941 for Benefactor.
Notable members, printers, speakers, authors, and collaborators past and present have included:
Ansel Adams, the Arion Press, the Artichoke Press, Nicholas Basbanes, Ambrose Bierce, Robert Bringhurst, Peter Coyote, Johanna Drucker, Isadora Duncan, William Everson, Edwin & Robert Grabhorn, Phoebe Apperson Hearst, Robinson Jeffers, Alfred A. Knopf, Peter Koch, Gary Kurutz, Anne Lamott, Oscar Lewis, Leonard Marcus, Donovan McCune, John Henry Nash, Ninja Press, Laurie Reed, Felicia Rice, Domonic Riley, Ward Ritchie, Rena Rosenwasser, Kay Ryan, Rebecca Solnit, Kevin Starr, Jack Stauffacher, Robert Louis Stevenson, John Steinbeck, Mark Twain, Susan Vreeland, Florence Walter, Anne Willan, Yolla Bolly Press, and many others.